It is our desire to provide a meaningful, relevant and well-supported educational experience for each assistant, regardless of his/her experience level. Please read the following important OMSA course information. Once you are registered in an OMSA course, more detailed information will be Mailed to you in a “Confirmation of Registration” packet.
- Format for the OMSA course:
1. Didactic self-study curriculum composed of narrated PowerPoint Presentation videos to be viewed on-line during a three-month period prior to the weekend seminar. These videos are divided by Systems: e.g. Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Endocrine, Immune, etc. Each module will have a short on-line quiz that must be completed before continuing to the next module. After viewing the videos and completing the quizzes, students will be required to take an on-line Pre-test to ensure that they understand the material that was presented.
2. We utilize chat and forum technology to provide instructor feedback and extra help for students who are struggling with various concepts. The faculty monitoring the forums are oral surgeons who are CALAOMS OMSA Committee members.
3. At a two-day weekend seminar we present a review of the material learned in the on-line self-study curriculum. The weekend culminates in a final exam.
- OMSA certificates are valid for 5 years. You must Recertify by the end of the year your Certificate expires in, or you will be required to register as an "Initial" and repeat the on-line self-study portion of the course. Extensions are not granted.
- We encourage everyone (Initials and Recerts) to sign up as soon as the on-line registration opens. Space is limited and courses fill quickly!
The “OMSA Spring 2019 Northern California” course will be held on Saturday & Sunday, April 13 & 14, 2019 at the Hilton Sacramento Arden West hotel. Registration will open to CALAOMS Members on October 8, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. and to the General Public on October 15, 2018 at 9:00 a.m. (CALAOMS Members must Login to the website to Pre-register their assistants.)
Please check back periodically for updated 2019 Summer (South) and 2019 Fall (North) OMSA course information. We will post new dates and locations as soon as they become available. Thank you.
Link to OMSA Course Registration Page