It is our desire to provide a meaningful, relevant and well-supported educational experience for each assistant, regardless of his/her experience level. Please read the following important OMSA course information. Once you are registered in an OMSA course, more detailed information will be Mailed to you in a “Confirmation of Registration” packet.
The OMSA Certificate received by taking this course is an "Industry recognized certificate of completion" and not a State or Board recognized certification, permit, or license.
- Format for the OMSA course:
1. Didactic self-study curriculum composed of narrated PowerPoint Presentation videos to be viewed on-line during a three-month period prior to the weekend seminar. These videos are divided by Systems: e.g. Cardiovascular, Respiratory, Endocrine, Immune, etc. Each module will have a short on-line quiz that must be completed before continuing to the next module. After viewing the videos and completing the quizzes, students will be required to take an on-line "Practice Test" to ensure that they understand the material that was presented.
2. We utilize chat and forum technology to provide instructor feedback and extra help for students who are struggling with various concepts. The faculty monitoring the forums are oral surgeons who are CALAOMS OMSA Committee members.
3. At a two-day weekend seminar we present a review of the material learned in the on-line self-study curriculum. The weekend culminates in a final exam.
- OMSA certificates are valid for 5 years. You must Recertify by the end of the year your Certificate expires in (we do not hold you to the month, just the year). Once your OMSA certificate expires, you will be required to register as an "Initial" and repeat the on-line self-study portion of the course. Extensions are not granted.
- We encourage everyone (Initials and Recerts) to sign up as soon as the on-line registration opens. Space is limited and courses fill quickly!
We are offering three (3) OMSA courses in 2020, rotating between Southern California and Northern California.
“OMSA Spring 2020 Southern California” will be held on Saturday & Sunday, April 4 & 5, 2020 at the Hilton Los Angeles North / Glendale hotel. Registration will open to CALAOMS members (Login Required) on October 9, 2019 and to the Public on October 16, 2019.
"OMSA Summer 2020 Northern California" will be held on Saturday & Sunday, July 25 & 26, 2020 at the Holiday Inn San Jose hotel. Registration will open to CALAOMS members (Login Required) on February 17, 2020 and to the Public on February 24, 2020.
"OMSA Fall 2020 Southern California" will be held on Saturday & Sunday, September 19 & 20, 2020 at the Long Beach Marriott hotel. Registration will open to CALAOMS members (Login Required) on April 27, 2020 and to the Public on May 4, 2020.
Please wait for a course to open for registration in your area. We are not able to transfer you between courses. Thank you.
Link to OMSA Course Registration page